Skip to main content

Independence from Fear: Learning to Love the Most Important Person in Your Life

It seems only right to reflect on the ways we are free this time of year. Last year at this time I thought about being free from environmental constraints and personal beliefs that limited my full jump into private practice. This year, I reflect on liberation from a specific kind of fear.... the fear of unconditional love.

Unconditional love generates from within and is cultivated by generous and warm offerings to oneself. I admit, I am better at this energy going outward versus inward. I see the fear of unconditional love being present in myself and in many of the clients I serve and it looks like this..."excuse me, I'm growing here." Resistance to unconditional love seems to serve a function of keeping a handle on self growth. For example, if I can maintain a critical eye of self, I can be ever-evolving and improving. Somehow, self-reflection slips into conditional love because we are tying self-acceptance to the process of change. It can also look like this: the thought pattern of rumination on things we need 'fix,' inevitable condemnation for some aspect of self, a plan of 'getting better,' and then a mind obsessively looking for relief by executing that plan. It seems inconceivable in those vulnerable moments to embrace the shame or discomfort we are experiencing as THE solution, so instead we meet those places with logic, judgment and striving... "excuse me, I'm growing here."

I see the independence from fear as a departure from the current process of listening to the inner critic. Not avoidance, not projection and certainly not denial, but a true discovering of the pure holy you.  Embracing self with love while in total imperfection is the practice. "Happiness lies in finding not what is missing, but in finding what is present."-Tara Brach

So how can you express this type of freedom? I can tell you it creeps up on me through a rush of emotion- usually anger, shame or sadness. And through the door of that emotion, I know that there is wisdom there, but not before I allow compassion to enter. I also refocus to the fact that whatever lesson I learn, I know it doesn't make me 'better,' it just makes me different. I am already whole and so are you. Nothing I do takes me closer or farther away from that truth.  Compassion and kindness are the most important ways we can open the door to learn wholehearted things about our life. I encourage you to allow the compassion lens to come to the party first. The reason for that is because compassion breeds space, quietness, and understanding. If we want to learn something new, it indeed takes a mindful garden to grow that consciousness. The alternative is a race we cannot win.

Just to give you an example of how this might work, let's say we connect to the belief that we might after all be "as bad as our fears" and when touching that, we either dive into it and wallow, or run like hell into a projection or addictive pattern to avoid seeing it. By doing so, we develop a recycled pattern that we go to each time we are triggered. Tara Brach teaches an alternative strategy which is to 'lean into the fear." She states: "leaning into fear does not mean losing our balance and getting lost in fear. Because our usual stance in relating to fear is leaning away from it, to turn and face fear directly serves as a correction. As we lean in, we are moving toward what we habitually resist. Leaning in allows us to touch directly the quivering, the shakiness, the gripping tightness that is fear."

The kicker? The truth is that it is the fear that captures us like a monster because of our unhealthy relationship with it. The belief of being wrong or bad is not actually true, but the fear of it makes it seem true and bigger than it is. No one is wholly right, good or perfect anyway. And so what if we aren't? If we can learn to hold compassion for the fear and shame in the imperfect place.... then we are liberated. But in order to do that, we gotta lean in. This practice realized means our happiness and self-worth become about the way we love ourselves in difficult moments, and not about the way we act in the first place. I believe this is the secret to loving yourself. The beauty of this practice also means that without effort, you will expand this perspective to everyone around you. You will also begin to see others through eyes of love. So perhaps we can also say that this is the secret to world peace. Who knew that loving yourself could have that kind of impact?

Consider Hafiz who writes...

"It happens all the time in heaven,
And some day
It will begin to happen
Again- on Earth-

That men and women...
Who give each other
Light,
Often will get down on their knees

And... With tears in their eyes,
Will sincerely speak, saying,

'My dear,
How can I be more loving to you;
How can I be more 
Kind?'"

This independence day, consider the chains you'd be willing to break free from within your own mind. Consider how might you live happier by discovering after all, that you can accept and love yourself unconditionally, in this moment, unadulterated.

Wishing you peace and freedom. Learn more about Rasa Healing here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Avatars Among Us"

Dedicated to all the seekers at B.H. This one's for you... Every once and while we meet special people who change our lives and I have had the honor of meeting several. This blog is for those on the forefront of healing, bursting with a wide-eyed wonder, fearless in hope, and deeply committed to discovering and celebrating the inner divine light. I have been so blessed to know such seekers in my life thus far.  Ride on great warriors of healing, capture what belongs to you. Your energy beats within my being forevermore. You inspire my steps and give brightness to my smile. You are modern day avatars, walking among us, unaware of your brilliance. Accept your inheritance, great avatar! Stand tall! This blog is dedicated to you. Thank you for your courage.  Courage can be mysterious at certain times in our lives. We must have excellent focus to not lose it under the bed or at the bottom of a pile of paper somewhere. For courage is needed most when we cannot find it. Take heed f

Synchronicity and Divine Timing is where it's at!

So I am not someone who believes that the world revolves haphazardly around the cosmos with no rhyme or reason; that all events that happen are coincidental, unrelated and compartmentalized. I believe the exact opposite. In fact, I believe everything is purposeful and happening exactly when it should. I work with others on accepting this reality and divine law although it appears to be one of the most contested spiritual philosophies. If I received a dime for every time I heard "I'm not supposed to be here right now," I'd be living in the mountains in India owning the most fancy temple money could buy. Any of these other statements, sound familiar? "This or that event shouldn't have happened to me," or "I wish I could be somewhere else in my life right now," or "Why am I stuck?" There are many variations of these statements but in essence they are all underlying a very chronic human misconception: the inability to understand and

"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished...

...That will be the beginning." --Louis L' Amour Endings are merely new beginnings within the same circle of lessons only with higher vibrations. My life experiences have led me to greater levels of awareness and insight into the limitless, divine powers in my being. Shifting and changes are the avenues that lead to the path of my destiny. Sometimes however, I see these roads as scary. I know though that the challenges I experience are human in nature and exist as fear of losing and letting go. Why can't I be a Buddha everyday? The human experience is funny like that, in how we grasp and hold onto matters no longer meant for us. It's like a tug of war with spirit. We are afraid of loss. When we hold tight, life becomes more challenging. The exhaustion that comes from enduring a difficult life experience undoubtedly gives way to a serenity at some point. We have no choice but to surrender. A cycle is complete, a lesson learned, a loss gaping, a tired soul. Must we on